ABOUT THE ROYAL SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY PARK
The Royal Science and Technology Park (RSTP) was created through the vision of His Majesty King Mswati III. The Vision is well enshrined in the Act of Parliament, the Royal Science and Technology Park Act of 2012. The Vision is the first comprehensive effort to promote science, technology and innovation in the Kingdom of Eswatini. The aim of the RSTP is to provide steadfast support for basic research and innovation. In doing so, we provide a coherent approach to maximising the innovation dividend.
The idea to develop a science and technology park started in 2007 with the creation of an initial concept. In 2008 a team of experts conducted a study to decide the feasibility of launching such a park. They completed the study in 2009 and found that the idea was feasible and that it would be a gain to the economy of Eswatini and therefore a master plan was developed in 2010. In 2012 the Swazi Government passed the Royal Science and Technology Act which led to the Royal Science and Technology Park being formed as an official institution.
The Royal Science and Technology Park is divided into two divisions which are the IT Park and the Biotechnology Park. It manages about 317.17ha of land, for which 152ha is dedicated to industrial development land and 165.17ha is shared between research and laboratories, administration centers and residential buildings.
The RSTP has been designated as a special economic zone (SEZ) which will afford unique incentives to attract foreign direct investments.
To be the leading oasis of science and innovative technologies for wealth creation.
We are the hub for stimulating science and innovative technologies for commercialization in the Kingdom of Eswatini. To achieve the mission we:
- Facilitate research and technology transfer
- Facilitate technology “know how” and entrepreneurship
- Facilitate manufacturing of technologies
- Provide IT technology-based business solutions.
RSTP WILL SERVE TO...
We demonstrate self-respect, and we respect others regardless of differences, by practising transparency; honesty; and accountability, for our actions.
We adhere to strong moral principles, and ethical standards.
We exhibit a high level of quality, and dedication, through being proactive in our operations.
We orchestrate partnerships that drive growth through effective communication, and active collaboration..
We promote the spirit of creativity and innovation, through embracing new ideas.
OBJECTIVES OF THE ROYAL SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY PARK
- We aid research that will uncover the commercial potential, of our native plants and animals.
- We propagate; process; package; and sell, value added products that we get from our natural plants, and animals.
- We create prospects for employment of our local people; entrepreneurs; as well as our small and medium enterprises (SME’s). We do so, by encouraging them, to partake in harnessing the country’s natural resource wealth, and to profit from its commercialization, and trade.
- We explore trade prospects that exist for Eswatini’s nature based products, in the local; regional; and global markets.
- We ease the access, of processed products in existing markets.
- We develop eco-tourism, with an aim to attract tourists to the country.
- We protect our environment, and its resources; and we boost the sustainable use thereof.
- We attract high tech companies, to invest in Eswatini.
- We stimulate high tech innovation, in the Kingdom of Eswatini.
- We create favourable conditions that will help new high tech enterprises to open. In so, we help them to start their own spin-off companies.
- We help high tech companies to be commercially viable. To do this, we offer, and co-ordinate training; and we give career path development.