The Royal Science and Technology Park (RSTP) has been designated as a Special Economic Zone. This was done through the Special Economic Zone (SEZ) Act of 2018. His Majesty King Mswati III is the brainchild of such an initiative targeted at attracting foreign direct investment into the Kingdom of Eswatini. Such a drive is designed to help promote export-oriented growth, generate employment with the intention to ensure technology transfer to the Eswatini populace and subsequently stimulate economic growth. The Investor Management Services Unit is responsible for the operationalisation and management of the RSTP’s SEZ Industrial Plot and One Stop Shop Service Centre.
It is a multi-sectoral high-tech Special Economic Zone, that provides the best services and support to ensure investors enjoy our highly competitive incentive package such as:
- A 20-year corporate tax holiday.
- Unlimited foreign exchange controls.
- Permanent residency, to name a few.
Our ecosystem entails Professional Innovation Skills Academy, 3tier National Data Centre , Business Incubation Services ,a National Contact Centre and research facilities. The Royal Science and Technology Park commits to a safe and sustainable environment with our “plug and play” SEZ ecosystem, giving you access to regional and global markets, at your convenience.
Nokwane Site Plan
Masterplan: Location and Infrastructure Development
The RSTP SEZ manages 317.7 hectares of land which its master plan comprise 159 hectares for industrial development ideally located in close proximity to import and export transport routes; through the highway access to Republic of South Africa and the Republic of Mozambique, dry port railway line leading to Maputo Sea Port (Republic of Mozambique) and Richards Bay Sea Port (Republic of South Africa).
Currently, atleast 80ha of the industrial development land at Nokwane is serviced and readily available for the potential targeted investments to set up shop. A Master Plan is in place for development of the basic infrastructure for the remaining 79ha of the industrial development land at Phocweni (the IT wing of RSTP).
One Stop Shop Service Centre
The One Stop Shop/Service Centre, which is near completion, is intended to ease and expedite the administrative processes and procedures of doing business within the SEZ. The OSSSC in an infrastructure which is to house all the relevant stakeholders that provides all the services that an investor may require when locating their investment at the SEZ.
Services provided to investors through the One Stop Shop include:
Company & Business Registration
Income Tax and VAT registration
Trade and Business License Applications
Connection of utilities
Provide specialist business advisory services.
After Care Services
Access to Markets:
Access to markets via The Kingdom of Eswatini Free Trade and Preferential Agreements:
- Southern African Development Community (SADC)
- Southern African Customs Union(SACU)
- Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA)
- SACU – EFTA (European Free Trade Area)
- SADC – EU ECONOMIC PARTNERSHIP AGREEMENT
- SACU-MERCOSUR PREFERENTIAL TRADE AGREEMENT
- African Growth and Opportunity Act(AGOA)
Fiscal and Tax
- Exemption from corporate tax for an initial period of 20 years, thereafter a corporate tax shall be charged at a rate of 5%;
- Remissions of customs duty, Value added tax and any other tax payable in respect to goods purchased for use of raw material, equipment, machinery including all goods and services directly related to manufacturing in the zones;
- Be entitled to source-based taxation;
- Be entitled to an exemption from capital gains tax;
- Unrestricted foreign exchange control
- Permitted to offshore financial services, for qualifying investors
- Be entitled to unrestricted repatriation of profits;
- Be entitled to an exemption from death duty;
- Be entitled to claim an allowance on constructed buildings;
- Be entitled to an allowance for research and development;
- Exemption from training levy, for an investor who has trained local employees;
- Be entitled to green technology allowance.
Royal Science & Technology Park Ecosystem: Support Services
Business Units can provide services that can be outsourced which would allow investors to focus on their core business and to reduce infrastructure and operational costs.
- National Data Centre
- Advanced School of IT
- Special Economic Zone
- Business Incubator
- Biotechnology Research Facilities
- National Contact Centre
In addition, RSTP’s Ecosystem also includes:
- Fast tracked land designation by RSTP;
- Provision of high speed internet connectivity
- Provision of serviced land (power, water, sanitation and communications);
- Approval and Masterplans and building plans of SEZ enterprise/investor by RSTP
- Service Centre (One Stop Shop)
- Access to R&D facilities
The initial capital investment for a sole proprietor is E30, 000,000 and E70, 000, 000 for joint ventures. An Enterprise or investor has to demonstrate their business case, the financial viability of theire investment, as well as the socioeconomic benefits of the proposed investment.
The Enterprise or investor intending to set up shall;
- Ensure decent employment for employees;
- Ensure that ninety percent (90%) of the employees are within the taxable bracket;
- Ensure that the minimum employment quota of Eswatini citizens is two thirds (2/3);
- Ensure that the localization policy is adhered to; and
- Ensure skills transfer
- Information & Communications Technology (ICT)
- High- Tech Manufacturing
- Research and Development (R&D)
Downloads and Contact Details of SEZ Officers
SEZ Management Services Manager
Investment Management Services Officer